Garanos Film Casting
Over at Earthsong, awhile back, Lady Yates started up a discussion on who would play her characters in a film adaptation of her comic, and that got me thinking about the same for Garanos. Now, I don’t have any real solid ideas on casting (save for one) so I thought I’d open it up to the floor and see what ideas anyone else has.
There are basic guidelines for each of our leads as far as ethnicity is concerned:
- Naturally, Styx should be played by someone of Indian/Southern Asian ethnicity.
- Garanos can be a little more ambigious as far as race, but I often think of Greek/Mediterranean features when I picture a real-life version of her. Either way, her skin is slightly darker than typical Caucasian coloring. I suppose the actress could get around this by simply tanning. Gara also shouldn’t be too pretty. Her face should be striking, but not too conventionally pretty, if you get what I mean by that.
- The same goes for Senberan and Ethreden and all the rest of the Caywienites.
- Maryoku is pretty much Caucasian. There’s no getting around that one. The actress is allowed to be fairly pretty, preferably in a timeless way, given the immortality and all.
- Lucas, Jack, and the other Kaigan villagers are also Caucasian.
- Gharsena is a darker-skinned Asian. Cambodian, Indonesian, or Laotian.
- Feel free to suggest actors for other characters if they occur to you.
And I’ve already cast Geilen. It actually just occurred to me recently: Jenna Fischer.
If you follow my blog at all, it’s pretty easy to tell I’m a huge fan of the American adaption of The Office. I think Jenna certainly has the chops to play Geilen very well, not to mention she’s the perfect stature. (Read: short.) She could probably gain a little weight for the role, since Geilen’s not an especially slender woman.
I found this picture of Jenna in a bustier, and with some slight Photoshopping to test the proper hair and eye colors, I’d say she’s pretty much perfect:
Throw out some ideas for other actors in the comments! I’m interested to see what you come up with. ^_^
11/10/09 Edit: It occurred to me that back in 2006 when I was putting fresh coats of paint on character designs to start this comic, I referenced Sarah Chalke for some of Maryoku’s features. Sealing the deal on Sarah, here she is with Maryoku’s coloring:
Now, she’s mostly a comedy actor, but if she ever feels like taking on a dramatic role, I’ll be waiting! ^_~
11/12/09 Edit: I now present Greek actress Xristina Mantisi for the role of Garanos. :D
Keep ’em coming! ^_^